Due to the positive reception of our next generation Raman products, FirstDefender RM and FirstDefender RMX, and to better align our development efforts to meet tomorrow's emerging chemical identification needs, we have stopped manufacturing AhuraFD instruments as of December 31, 2011.
We will continue to provide support and library updates for AhuraFD instruments through at least 2018. Rest assured that you can still rely on our world class service and support organization — 24 hours a day, every day of the year. From basic operational inquiries to complex spectral analysis, our support engineers, scientists and chemists are just a phone call or email away.
AhuraFD software v2.7.2 is now available! Download the latest update for additional library items and user interface enhancements. Log in to the customer support page to learn more.
AhuraFD is an all-optical Raman system designed for use by first responders, homeland security, military, law enforcement and forensic chemistry personnel. Key features and benefits:
- Quickly identifies unknown solid and liquid chemicals from a vast sample library including: explosives, toxic industrial chemicals (TICs), toxic industrial materials (TIMs), chemical warfare agents (CWAs) white powders, narcotics and more
- Mixture analysis software identifies mixture components in seconds including solid/liquid combinations and aqueous solutions
- Handheld weighs less than 4 lb (1.8kg) for easy transport
- Certified to meet MIL STD-810F requirements for ruggedness
- Designed for use in the hotzone with tough form factor, quick decontamination and easy operation in full Level A gear
- Non-contact sampling requires no calibration and no consumables
- Point-and-shoot™ operation through sealed translucent containers avoids contamination and exposure and maintains evidence
- Operable over a wide temperature range (-20 °C to +40 °C)
- Dual sample mode (point-and-shoot or vial mode) enables flexible sampling
- Integrated NIOSH and CAMEO database provides on-the-spot reference
- 24/7 technical and reachback support provided for all units
|Raman Spectral Range||250 cm- 1 to 2875 cm-1|
|Spectral Resolution||7 to 10.5 cm-1 (FWHM) across range|
|Laser (excitation wavelength)||785 nm +/- 0.5 nm, 2 cm-1 linewidth, stability <0.1 cm-1|
|Laser Output Power||300 mW or lower (adjustable)|
|Collection Optics||NA = 0.33; 18 mm working distance; 0.2 mm to 2.5 mm spot size|
|Exposure||Manual, Automatic modes (100 ms minimum)|
|Battery||Rechargeable 7.4 V Internal Lithium Ion Battery; >5 hours at 25 °C|
|External Power Supply||Wall plug transformer 100-240 V AC 50/60 Hz|
|Weight||< 4 lbs. (<1.8 kg)|
|Size||12" x 6" x 3" (30 cm x 15 cm x 7.6 cm)|
|Operating Temperature||-20 °C to +40 °C|
FirstDefender, now sold as AhuraFD, has been approved by NSERP, the Non-Standard Equipment Review Panel, established by the Department of Defense for the procurement of chemical and biological defense equipment. NSERP possesses review and authorization authority where Department of Defense (DoD) or national Chemical and Biological Defense Equipment (CBDE) standards do not exist and where the DoD has specific concerns. The CBD NSERP process applies to DoD civilians and military using non-standard chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) equipment in a first responder or IM/CM role, both on military installations and in support to civil authorities.
Handheld Raman for Explosives Identification
James T. Thurman, associate professor at Eastern Kentucky University and former Chief of the FBI Bomb Data Center, conducted an independent evaluation of FirstDefender as a screening tool for field ID of commercial, military, homemade explosives, and explosive precursors. FirstDefender returned an 89% positive ID rate (including mixtures) with no false positives. Contact us to obtain the full test report.
Edgewood Chemical Biological Center
The U.S. Army Edgewood Chemical Biological Center has conducted two independent evaluations of FirstDefender. Full report results are available upon request for the following:
- Testing of FirstDefender Handheld Chemical Identifier Against Toxic Industrial Chemicals Summary Report (December 2006)
- Evaluation of FirstDefender Handheld Chemical Identifier Against Chemical Warfare Agents Summary Report (June 2006)
MIL-STD 810F Testing
FirstDefender is certified to MIL-STD 810F specifications for ruggedness, including
- Operation in extreme temperatures
- Temperature and functional shock
- Sand and Dust